Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2007

Starting a Consultancy: Step1

People often ask me how I started my consultancy (usually, because they want to step into contracting for themselves). My response is always "I prepared first, then took the first step". The first step is, of course, the hardest and is more of a leap of faith than a step. However, if properly prepared, anyone can thrive in their new endeavour.

Build a Network (of People, not Servers) :-)
I started networking years in advance before striking out on my own. I went to trade shows, joined users groups, volunteered time for organizations, and so on. My goal was to fill my palm pilot with contacts, and collect a binder full of business cards. I still have that same information to this day.

When starting my real estate LLC, I used the same formula because it worked for me the first time. Now I have a collection of painters, plumbers, carpenters, etc. to use on my real estate flips.




No comments:

My Blog List

  • Dr. Vivek Murthy - We usually publish Remarkable People on Wednesday mornings, but we wanted to get this interview out before the elections. This episode's remarkable guest...
    3 years ago
Blog Directory - OnToplist.com